History of Tamale Polytechnic
Tamale Polytechnic began as a Trades Training Centre in 1951 and then became the Government Training School in 1954. It was converted to a junior Technical institute in 1960.
The School was elevated to the statutes of a Polytechnic in August 23, 1992. As a result of the Educational Reform Programme and the enactment of the PNDC Law 321 in 1992, Tamale Polytechnic was elevated to tertiary status together with Accra, Kumasi, Ho, Cape Coast and Takoradi Polytechnics. The Polytechnic now trains students up to the Higher National Diploma level, with provisions to mount degree programmes soon.
Since the inception of the Polytechnic as a Trades Training Centre, its catchments area has been mainly the three regions of the north, that is, Northern Upper East and Upper West. In spite of the fact that three regions of the north, that is Northern are now Polytechnics in very region across the country, the student population of the Tamale Polytechnic still has a reasonable level of influence in the three regions and even beyond. This is an indication that the Polytechnic continues to maintain a long – standing role as the premier training institution for middle and high levels of technical and managerial personnel for the north, and beyond
Programmes Offered At Tamale Polytechnic
Fashion, Design and Modeling
Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management (HCIM)
Languages and Liberal Studies
Statistics, Mathematics and Science
Building Technology Department
Electrical & Electronics Engineering Department
Industrial Arts Department
Mechanical Engineering Department
Secretaryship and Management