First Regional Conference and School on Climate Change, Water and Environmental Sanitation for Early Career Scientists Working in Africa - 2017 Call For Papers
Theme: Responding to the Challenges of Climate Change, Water Security and Environmental Sanitation: Role of the Early Career Scientists in the 21st Century
Date: 28th – 31st August 2017
Venue: Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences Auditorium
The first Regional Conference and School on Climate Change, Water and Environmental Sanitation is being jointly organised by the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology and the Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences. This Conference and School seeks to bring Early Career Scientists working in Africa together with Senior Academics and Industry to share knowledge and experience(s) relevant to the Climate Change, and the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors.
The programme is made of two related sessions: the first two days, dedicated to the conference, will give opportunity to PhD students, Postdocs and Junior Lecturers or Researchers, with less than five years working experience and who are less than 40 years of age, to make presentations of their research findings in the conference thematic areas. The second two days will be dedicated to the Conference School, where the Early Career Scientists will be mentored by world-class academics through the delivery of specialised courses. There will also be a conference tour to WASH facilities in Accra. The conference will welcome industry players to showcase their products, technologies and innovations at the Venue.
Conference Thematic Areas
The conference is inviting 300-word abstracts in the following broad thematic areas
- Climate Change, Climate Systems and Resilient WASH Systems
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Hydrology and Hydrogeology
- Water Security, Vulnerability and Early Warning Systems
- Storm Drainage and Flood Modelling
- WASH Governance and Policy
- Water Supply, Quality and Treatment Technologies
- Faecal Sludge and Solid Waste Management, Recycling and Re-use
- Environmental Health, Hygiene, and behavioural change
The two-day Conference School will be dedicated to the delivery of specialised courses including current research areas and the following essential skills:
- Research Skills Development and Communication
- Leadership and Innovations
- Water Distribution System Modelling
- Emerging Urban Storm Water Management
Venue and Date
The Conference and School will be hosted at the ultra-modern facilities of the Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences in Accra over a four-day period: 28th – 31st August, 2017.
Abstract Submission and Deadline
Abstracts are invited from PhD students, Postdoctoral Candidates and Junior Lecturers of Researchers less than 40 years of age. Applicants will be required to submit abstracts with word limit of up to 300 (Check for Guidelines on last page). Datelines are as follows:
- Deadline for Submission of Abstracts: 07th July, 2017
Submission address: All abstracts should be submitted to email@example.com
There will be three types of sponsorship packages available for participants.
- Full Sponsorship: Limited sponsorships available for presenters of papers adjudged to be of excellent quality. The Full Sponsorship includes a return air ticket, transportation in Accra to and from conference venue, full boarding and lodging.
- Partial Sponsorship: At least 20 Partial Sponsorships will be made available to support participants with transportation in Accra to and from conference venue in addition to full boarding and lodging. Participants are responsible for their own travel to Accra.
- Limited Sponsorship: All other participants will receive Limited Sponsorship made up of transportation in Accra to and from conference venue and meals at the conference venue only. Participants are responsible for their travel to Accra and accommodation in Accra.
Note for Participants
- Participants who wish to take advantage of any of the scholarship offers should apply when submitting the abstract indicating the type of offer.
- All participants are responsible for all costs associated with their entry visa, travel insurance and local travelling expenses until they arrive in Accra.
- No stipends or subsistence will be provided.
Publication of conference proceedings
Presenters will be required to submit their full paper of 4 - 6 A4 pages of text, including tables, figures and references, to be included in the conference proceeding by 25 July 2017.
Guideline for Abstract Submission
General information: Abstract should be written in Times New Roman font with font size 12 except otherwise stated.
Title Section. The title of the abstract should be as concise as possible. The title section must also state the names (First name followed by middle name and surname) for all authors. The title should have a font size of 14, and the names of authors, font size of 12. Both should be written in sentence case and Centre formatted. Beneath the names of authors, provide the full addresses of all authors; this should include institution of affiliation, physical address, e-mail address and telephone numbers with font size 10 and left indent.
Heavy Flooding and Global Warming: Is there a Connection with Climate Change?
Anthony Kimat Shimaya1, Koussi Miranda2, Apugi Fernando Brown3
1Department of Civil Engineering, University of Technology, P.O.Box 342, Kumasi - Ghana, +2332457849524,
2Department of Environmental Engineering, University of Technology, P.O.Box 342, Kumasi - Ghana, +2332445784585, firstname.lastname@example.org
3Department of Civil Engineering, University of Technology, P.O.Box 342, Kumasi - Ghana, +2332457855524,
Main text: An abstract of up to 300 words should appear under the authors' names and addresses, briefly specifying the aims of the work, the methods used, the main results obtained and the conclusions drawn. Under the abstract, up to six (6) keywords should be listed in alphabetical order. Do not number or letter section headings